Ghosts, goblins and witches won’t be the only creatures trying to spook homeowners this Halloween. Hulett Environmental advises people to be on the lookout for real-life ghoulish pests lurking around neighborhoods, including rodents, bats and spiders.
As the temperature continues to drop, many of these creepy critters will seek respite from the winter chill – often within the confines our homes. Once inside, rodents and other pests can do more than just provide their fair share of scares. They are capable of contaminating food, spreading disease and posing a threat to our property.”
Rodents can spread Salmonella and Hantavirus and create fire hazards by gnawing through electrical wires in the home. Bats are frequent carriers of rabies, which is potentially fatal if left untreated, and some species of spiders can administer a painful bite when disturbed.
To keep these pests from haunting the house this Halloween, Hulett Environmental recommends the following tips:
- Seal any cracks or crevices with caulk and steel wool. Pay special attention to holes in the structure that lead to dark secluded areas, like attics and belfries.
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Eliminate sources of moisture, especially in crawl spaces and basements.
- Inspect items such as boxes, grocery bags and other packages brought into the home.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
- If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect and treat the pest problem.
Just Call Hulett! 866-611-2847
Hulett Environmental Services has been serving South Florida for over 40 years! We are a full service pest control company specializing in South Florida bugs.