Hulett Environmental Services, an organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, offers these tips to help pests from ruining your summer gathering:
- Prior to the party, check screen doors and repair any holes.
- Remove sources of standing water in your yard, including birdbaths, wading pools or garden ponds.
- Have insect repellant containing an EPA-registered active ingredient like DEET or Picaridin available for you and your guests.
- Adorn your deck or patio with citronella candles that can help minimize the presence of mosquitoes.
- With guests coming in and out of your house, make sure the doors close behind them.
- Plan to serve food and beverages indoors, and reserve outdoor space for eating and entertaining.
- Keep food sealed in containers whenever possible, and wipe tabletops frequently.
- Clean trash, spills and crumbs immediately from tables and other surfaces.
- Bring utensils and dishware indoors shortly after the meal.
- Rinse all beverage bottles and cans, and dispose of them in tightly closed garbage containers.
If pests become intolerable, you may have a larger problem and need professional assistance. Sometimes, pest pressure can get out of hand. For example, if homeowners notice large mounds of ants or stinging insect nests around the property, they’ll want to contact a professional to help them safely remove these infestations as they can be a threat to our safety. Just Call HULETT!