by Chrysalis De Vera
The National Allergy and Asthma Awareness was scheduled last May. With the celebration of this event, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) gave a warning to all families that cockroaches are the leading cause of allergies and asthma attacks. The main factor is the pest’s saliva, droppings and decomposing bodies. These contain allergen proteins which are known to trigger allergies and increase the severity of asthma symptoms, especially to young people.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that asthma rates have risen up to 8.2% in 2009 from a 7.3% rate in 2001. The rates in children increased from 8.7% in 2001 to 9.6% in 2009.
Missy Henriksen, the Vice President of Public Affairs for the NPMA explained, “Most people are aware of typical indoor allergens including mold, pet dander, dust and second-hand smoke, but they should also be mindful of any cockroach infestations in their home or other places such as schools.” She also added that cockroach allergens are typically found in areas that are hard to see, such as under appliances and sinks, so it is important to periodically check those areas to be able to keep them clean and dry.
Further, this kind of pest also spread a disease like Salmonella. This is through picking up germs on the spines of their legs, which are easily contaminates the food and surfaces they touch.
To prevent cockroaches in homes, NPMA recommends the following:
(1) Seal cracks around the outside of the home to prevent pest entryways.
(2) Vacuum frequently and dispose of garbage regularly.
(3) Keep counters and floors clean and free of crumbs that attract pests.
(4) Pay extra attention to kitchens and bathrooms — especially under appliances and sinks — as these areas are particularly vulnerable to cockroach infestations.
(5) If you suspect an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment.
Just Call Hulett! 866-611-2847
Hulett Environmental Services has been serving South Florida for over 40 years! We are a full service pest control company specializing in South Florida bugs.