Summer Barbeques Attract Unwelcome Pests
Hulett Environmental Offers Advice on How to Keep Uninvited Insects Out of Your Backyard
According to research conducted by the National Pest Management Association in 2005, 67% of homeowners are most concerned about pests during the summer. Barbeque season begins when the temperature heats up, the same time that insects become the most active. These prevalent summer pests can cause painful stings and carry diseases, as well as becoming a nuisance for you and your guests.
If ants, mosquitoes and wasps aren’t on the guest list for your barbeque this summer, the National Pest Management Association recommends taking these precautions to discourage those unwanted pests from attending:
- Ants are attracted to typical barbeque fare. Plan to serve food and beverages indoors, and reserve outdoor space for eating and entertaining. Keep food sealed in containers whenever possible, and wipe tabletops frequently. Bring utensils and dishware indoors shortly after the meal. Rinse all beverage bottles and cans, and dispose of them in tightly closed garbage containers.
- Mosquitoes feed on blood, causing painful bite marks and carrying diseases such as Malaria, Yellow Fever, and Encephalitis. Remove or drain any sources of standing water in your yard that could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes, including birdbaths, wading pools, or garden ponds. When outside, wear insect repellent on exposed skin to prevent mosquito bites.
- Wasp stings can be painful and even send guests with allergies to the emergency room. Avoid decorating with fragrant candles or planting fragrant flowers that may attract wasps.
- Ensure all doors and windows in your home have mesh screens that are in good condition, and keep doors closed when possible so pests cannot enter your home.
- If you’re still concerned about an abundance of pests in your yard, contact Hulett Environmental to help control the problem. A pest professional can identify, treat and remove pest-breeding grounds, allowing your guests to enjoy their hamburgers and hot dogs in comfort.
Just Call Hulett! 866-611-2847
Hulett Environmental Services has been serving South Florida for over 40 years! We are a full service pest control company specializing in South Florida bugs.