TERMITES: THE SILENT PEST THAT CAN DESTROY YOUR HOME
Hulett Environmental Services offers tips for homeowners to prevent termite damage
As warmer temperatures continue to set in around the nation, the potential for termite swarms and infestations significantly increases. Hulett Environmental is encouraging homeowners to take preventative measures to protect their greatest investment – their home – from termites this spring.
Termites are known as “silent destroyers” because of their ability to chew through walls, floors and ceilings undetected. They feed 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the cellulose found in wood and paper products. And with upwards of 2 million members in a single termite colony, infestations are more common and more severe than people may think.
Although termites do not pose health threats like mosquitoes or cockroaches, this pest can cause significant damage to a home in a matter of weeks or months.
In fact, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) reports that termites cause more than $5 billion in property damage each year, which is usually not covered by homeowners’ insurance policies.
Regular inspections and routine maintenance are necessary to stay on top of a potential termite infestation. Experts at Hulett Environmental Services recommend the following steps homeowners can take protect their property from this unwelcome pest:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Repair fascia and soffits and rotted roof shingles. Some termites are drawn to deteriorating wood.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), cracked or bubbling paint and wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground.
- Direct water away from your house through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
If you suspect you have an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment. For more information, please visit www.bugs.com
Just Call Hulett! 866-611-2847
Hulett Environmental Services has been serving South Florida for over 40 years! We are a full service pest control company specializing in South Florida bugs.