Hulett Environmental informs homeowners of common household spiders
Any eight-legged pest is sure to be unwelcome in homes, but not all creepy-crawlers are the same. While some species of spiders are nothing more than a nuisance, others can pose serious health risks when they bite. Hulett Environmental, a pest management company servicing South Florida urges homeowners to brush up on the types of spiders they could encounter this fall.
When the cooler weather rolls in, spiders seek shelter in warm, dry environments like our homes. To protect the family, it is important to know what spiders are likely to be hiding indoors — in dark corners of our favorite rooms and even among the holiday decorations you’ll soon unpack that are stored in the basement.
Homeowners should be on the lookout for the following spider species:
Common House Spider: These spiders don’t pose a health risk, but they can be quite a nuisance throughout the house. They spin a tangled web in upper corners, angles of window frames and around furniture.
Brown Recluse Spider: The bite from a brown recluse can cause a very painful ulcer. These spiders can be found in many undisturbed areas around the home, such as inside boxes, under furniture and in seldom-used clothing or shoes.
Black Widow Spider: Probably the most infamous species of spider, the black widow’s venom can have serious side effects, especially in children and the elderly. Widows often build nests in cluttered areas within garages, attics and basements.
Hulett Environmental reminds homeowners that there are several ways to prevent spider bites and keep them out of the house all together:
- Install screens and weather stripping on windows and door sweeps on doors.
- Fix any cracks in siding and walls, especially where pipes or wires enter the home.
- Store clothing and shoes inside plastic containers, and shake out all clothing that has been in a hamper, on the floor or in storage before wearing.
- Wear heavy gloves when moving items that have been stored for a long period of time.
- Inspect shoes before wearing them, as spiders often hide inside.
- Reduce clutter in basements, garages and attics.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.
Just Call Hulett! 866-611-2847
Hulett Environmental Services has been serving South Florida for over 40 years! We are a full service pest control company specializing in South Florida bugs.