Annual Termite Inspections a Must in South Florida!
Pest proofing and home improvement projects are often designated to the spring season. Now is the perfect time of year to remind homeowners to take the necessary steps to protect their greatest investment from costly damage. Because termites aren’t often detected until it’s too late, we advise consumers to arrange for annual termite inspections from a qualified pest professional.
Termites feed 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the cellulose found in wood and paper products. They can silently chew through structures undetected and cause more than $5 billion in property damage every year, an expense that isn’t typically covered under homeowners’ insurance policies.
Hulett offers the following prevention tips for homeowners to help guard against termites:
- Carefully inspect the perimeter of the home for mud tubes and rotting wood.
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
- Divert water away from the home through properly functioning downspouts and gutters.
To learn more about termites and look for information on termites, please visit https://site1.das-group.com/termite_control_services/termite_control.asp?type=termite