Hulett Environmental Services recommend the following tips to keep these pests outdoors where they belong:
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home with caulk. Pay special attention to areas where utilities and pipes enter the home.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery well trimmed.
- Consider partnering with a licensed pest professional to identify pest problems and recommend an appropriate course of treatment.
We also encourage homeowners to eliminate all moisture sites, as some pests such as termites and carpenter ants are specifically attracted to this element. Once inside, both of these pests can cause extensive damage to homes.
“This weekend or next weekend is going to be the biggest spider movement of all,” Al Wolf, director of the Sonoma County Reptile Rescue told CBS News Saturday. “All the males will be looking for the girls so it’s gonna be eight-legged love.”
Checkout some old blog posts and let us know what you think!