Hulett Environmental Services offers advice for homeowners on mosquito prevention around the property
Hulett Environmental offers the following mosquito prevention tips:
- Eliminate areas of standing water around the home such as flowerpots, birdbaths, baby pools, grill covers and other objects where water collects. Mosquitoes need only about ½ inch of water to breed.
- Screen all windows and doors. Repair even the smallest tear or hole.
- Minimize outside activity between dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are most active.
- If you must spend time outdoors during peak mosquito times, wear long pants, sleeves and socks. Also, use an insect repellent containing DEET, picaridin or IR3535.
- Avoid wearing dark colors and floral prints, loose-fitting garments, open-toe shoes and sweet-smelling perfumes or colognes.
If homeowners are concerned about mosquito activity in their area, they should consider contacting a pest management company or the local mosquito abatement district for assistance.