Hulett Environmental discusses the risks posed by cockroaches and offers prevention tips
Though they have long been a pest that causes one of the strongest reactions when discovered in a home, cockroaches are more than just unwelcome house guests. This pest poses severe health risks once indoors, especially as an asthma trigger in children. Experts here at Hulett Environmental encourage homeowners to take preventative measures to protect their families and properties from the health threats associated with cockroaches.
Many people consider cockroaches as merely a household nuisance, but this pest is a hidden danger in homes. They can also spread food-borne disease like Salmonella by picking up germs on the spines of their legs and bodies and can aggravate respiratory systems.
The saliva, droppings and decomposing bodies of cockroaches contain allergen proteins known to trigger allergies and increase the severity of asthma symptoms, especially in children.
Cockroaches prefer warm, moist places with available food sources, so eliminating those attractive environments can help prevent cockroach infestations. Hulett Experts recommend the following steps homeowners can take to avoid cockroach infestations:
- Seal cracks around the outside of the home to prevent pest entryways.
- Properly ventilate basements and crawl spaces to eliminate harborage points.
- Vacuum frequently and remove garbage from around the home on a routine basis.
- Do not allow dirty dishes to accumulate in the sink and remain there overnight.
- Keep food in the refrigerator or in containers with tight-fitting lids to prevent contamination.
Periodically check and clean the evaporation.
For more information on roach control services, Just Call Hulett!