- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of your home to help prevent rodents from finding easy entryways.
- Keep shrubberies cut back from the house and store firewood a good distance away. The NPMA recommends that you tore firewood at least 20 feet from the home and five inches off the ground.
- Rodents can hide in clutter, so keep areas clear and store boxes off of the floor.
- Keep food in tightly sealed containers and clean up crumbs and spills.
- If you find rodent feces, hear sounds of scurrying in the walls or observe other signs of an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect and treat the pest problem.
How to prevent a rodent infestation
It's much easier to prevent a rodent infestation than to remove them after they've turned your home into their new residence. Here are a few steps homeowners can take to keep their homes rodent-free: