- When de-cluttering and storing items, use durable, sealed containers that pests can't easily infest or chew through instead of cardboard boxes or plastic bags.
- Remove all of the items from cabinets and pantry. Go through them and discard stale spices and other dated items such as flour and grains. These baking ingredients attract pantry pests, including several types of beetles, Indian meal moths and ants.
- Immediately wipe up any crumbs or spills from countertops, tables, floors and shelves.
- If you keep fresh fruit on the counter, check it often for signs of over-ripening or decay, which can attract fruit flies.
- Run the garbage disposal regularly.
- Don't let dirty dishes pile up and stand in the sink.
- Don't leave pet food and water bowls sit out for long periods of time.
- Take notice of any built up moisture and eliminate these sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
Pest Proof Your Home This Spring
05-24-2016 Bug Database