Brown recluse spiders are nocturnal and eat other bugs like cockroaches and crickets. However you still don’t want them around.
The bite of the brown widow spider has been described as causing an initial pain comparable to the prick of a needle and leaves two red puncture marks (caused by the two fangs). This is followed by sharp pain which may lessen or persist for a number of hours. The pain moves from the site of the wound and settles in the abdomen and legs. Other neurological symptoms include nausea, vomiting, faintness, dizziness, tremors, loss of muscle tone, shock, speech disturbances, and general motor paralysis. However, death is rare.
Do you live in Florida and think that this spider may be invading your home? Hulett Environmental Services offers specialty pest control treatments designed to control and eliminate this pest!
Male brown recluse spiders wander farther than females and will crawl into shoes or other clothing.
Brown recluse spiders often live outdoors in debris and wood piles. They can be found indoors in storage areas and dark recesses. They are not a spider you want to encounter.
Like the black widow spider, the brown recluse spider bites in defense and does not bite humans instinctively. They will bite humans when the clothing they are hiding in is worn. The brown recluse spider bite is painful and can produce an open, ulcerating sore.
Scan QR Reader above or click to follow Hulett on LinkedIn!
Utilize these South Florida Spider Prevention Tips:
- Install screens and weather stripping on windows and door sweeps on doors.
- Fix any cracks in siding and walls, especially where pipes or wires enter the home.
- Store clothing and shoes inside plastic containers, and shake out all clothing that has been in a hamper, on the floor or in storage before wearing.
- Wear heavy gloves when moving items that have been stored for a long period of time.
- Inspect shoes before wearing them, as spiders often hide inside.
- Reduce clutter in basements, garages and attics.
- Contact a Licensed Florida pest management professional as soon as you see spider activity inside your home
- Get annual, free pest inspections