IPM is a process involving common sense methods and environmentally friendly solutions for controlling pests. The approach incorporates three basic steps: inspection, identification and treatment by a pest professional.
There are a few standard pest prevention protocols in every IPM program:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys, and keep tree shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Eliminate sources of moisture and keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Keep counters, floors and other surfaces clean and free of crumbs.
- Store food in plastic or glass containers with secure lids.
- Vacuum often.