Reported cases of tick-related diseases have been on the rise in recent years. This has put local veterinarians and pet owners on high alert. And rightly so; researchers in Florida say the U.S. will see more than 300,000 new cases of tick-transmitted diseases this year. In South Florida, pet owners need to be aware that many types of ticks exist and therefore, there needs to be a prevention plan in place.
Milder winter equals three times more ticks
With a milder than usual winter in 2016, an increase in ticks, as many as three times the normal population is predicted for the upcoming spring and summer seasons. Hulett Environmental Services recommends that pet owners take extra precautions to protect their four-legged family members, as well as themselves from exposure to the diseases ticks carry.
Hulett Environmental Services: Pet-friendly
While many topical, ingestible and ultrasonic flea and tick prevention pet products on the market today help prevent pet flea and tick infestations, Hulett Environmental Services offers pet-friendly flea and tick control services that go beyond your pet’s pest control defenses to address the needs of your home and property in trying to fend off potential disease threats.
Pet-friendly Healthy Home Service
Our pet-friendly pest control program is an important part of our Healthy Home service. Designed to provide pet-friendly pest protection for your family dogs, cats and other pets, Hulett’s Healthy Home pest control program is part of getting any existing pest issues under control and in the long-term, the goal is to prevent future pet pest problems.
What if you think you have a flea issue?
If your pets are scratching and chewing on their fur in excess, chances are, you have a flea issue. Contact Hulett today for your free flea inspection by one of our graduate trained entomologist inspectors and technicians.
Our Pet Friendly Resource Guide
Some preventive measures you can take to help protect your pets from common pests such as fleas and ticks, like these:
- Vacuum your home regularly to help control flea infestations by removing eggs, larvae and adults. Along with carpets, pay attention to cushioned furniture and baseboards.
- Wash pet bedding and remove any old pet bedding. Frequently clean areas where your pets lounge.
- Groom pets frequently; flea shampoos can help relieve the itching temporarily. Using a flea comb can help remove fleas from your pets.
- Insist on Huletts Pet Friendly treatments for the interior and exterior of your home.
Ticks carry diseases that affect humans as well as pets
Because ticks carry diseases, pet owners must take extra precautions this spring and summer. Some things to consider:
- Consult your veterinarian for tick and flea prevention options for your pets.
- Check hair and skin after outdoor activities.
- Check your pets regularly for ticks, especially after pets run through tall grass or after woodland hikes.
- Wear light colored, long pants and long-sleeved shirts when going near grassy or wooded areas.
- Wear closed-toed sneakers or boots in areas of possible tick activity.
- Tuck pant legs into the top of your boot or sock, so all skin is covered.
- Use insect repellant.
- If you find a tick on yourself or if you’re experiencing fever, pain in the joints, or a painful rash, seek medical attention immediately.
Exterior precautions include:
- Keeping grass cut low.
- Eliminate all weedy areas.
- Remove all woodpiles, garbage and debris from your yard.
Most importantly, contact Hulett Environmental Services to pest guard your yard and your home’s interior against fleas and ticks with pet-friendly prevention programs for your healthy home. Just call Hulett at 1-866-611-BUGS!