Tricks to Find Termites [caption id="attachment_16071" align="alignleft" width="275"] Termite Pest Control[/caption] In order to protect our homes from being taken over or infested by termites, it is important that we know a thing or two about them! Cellulose, an ingredient present in wood, is what termites feed off of. Because most homes are built with wood, it is important to have our basement, laundry room, crawlspace and other damp areas checked regularly for termites since they dine and live unseen. Here are some tips on how to spot termites in your homes:
- Termites can be heard in your walls tromping their feet around.
- Termites like to keep their hideout clean and tidy, so their droppings (dead termites and feces) can be found right outside of the walls.
- Spots on your walls or decks that can be easily scratches probably are termite infestation (dark or soft spots in the wood).
- Mud tunnels, tubes or mud piles around your foundation can be a sign of termites.
- Small holes in your walls can also be a sign of a termite infestation.
- When termites colonize, you will notice drooping, buckling or sagging floors. Termites dig tunnels into the wood leaving the wood discolored and blistered. You will also see traces of sawdust.
- Keep your eyes out for dirt channels and ripples along the drywall.