Allergic Attacks from Bugs: The Basics

Allergic Attacks from Bugs: The Basics

A quarter of allergic reactions come from bug bites. Some of us just don’t react well to what are benign encounters for the majority of people. Other allergies are the result of food (about half) or drug (the last quarter) reactions, but allergic responses to bugs can be quite deadly.

The lethality of an insect bite is linked to the reaction known as anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis is a sudden drop in blood pressure, typically accompanied by itching, feeling hot and flushed, possible palpitations and difficulty breathing, and sometimes a racing heart. With these symptoms, a person may become unconscious.

Any anaphylactic reaction should be considered a medical emergency. People with bug allergies of this type should carry an Anapen or Epipen and a written action plan, so that medical workers can treat the reaction swiftly and properly. For more details on first aid treatment for allergies, the ASCIA provides a website.

Other potentially dangerous allergies come from the stings of honeybees, ants, and wasps. These are some of the more common insects that cause serious problems for those susceptible to anaphylaxis.

Tick allergies are much more rare, but do occur. Ticks should be removed gingerly but if you have an allergy the tick should not be removed by any means. Instead, seek medical attention at your nearest emergency room.

 

Please follow and like us:
error