How to Prepare Your Home For Termite Treatment
There are several important steps to take when preparing your home and belongings for the termite tenting process. The team at Hulett will arrive for a property inspection and pre-treatment walk-through where we will discuss in detail the proper steps you must take before we tent your home. However, these guidelines are a good starting point.
- Food and beverages: Any food or beverage container that is not factory sealed should be removed from your house or placed into special fumigation bags. This includes items that are inside cabinets, refrigerators, freezers, and pantries.
- Gas lines: Please turn off the gas to your home prior to our arrival for treatment. All pilot lights, such as those on stoves, ovens, or gas fireplaces should also be turned off for the duration of treatment.
- Pets: All living beings, including cats, reptiles, fish, dogs, hamsters, and more, should have alternate living arrangements for the duration of treatment. Pet food should be removed from the home, as should any medications or consumables (flea and tick treatments, supplements, treats, etc.) that your pets use. Remove any toys or bones from the house for the duration of treatment.
- Structure attachments: Attachments to the home such as fencing, lanais, screen cages, and more, should be removed prior to treatment. Any attachments that are physically touching, secured to, or leaning against your home should be removed.
- Shrubbery and landscaping: Things like flower pots and planters, mulch, decorative rocks, trees, bushes and shrubs, and more, should be trimmed or moved to a distance of at least 12 to 18 inches away from the foundation of your home.
- Security systems: Please turn off or disable all security systems as the Hulett team will be entering and leaving the premises for the duration of treatment.
- Mattresses and bedding: Remove all plastic covers, such as pet-proof sheet toppers or crib covers, from mattresses and bedding. If you have plastic coverings on other furniture items please remove these as well. Leave mattresses in the home for the duration of treatment.
- Medication and beauty products: Any items, such as over-the-counter or prescription medication, that are not factory sealed should be removed from the home. This includes any items that you ingest, as well as products such as contact lens solution, moisturizer, shaving cream, hair products, makeup, and more.
- Clothing: Clothing may remain in the home for the duration of treatment and does not require bagging.
- Dishes and cooking utensils: All dishes, utensils, and cooking appliances may remain in the home for the duration of treatment without covering or bagging.
- Electronics: Electronics such as TVs, computers, sound systems, and more, may remain in the home for the duration of treatment without covering or bagging.
- Photographs and paperwork: Items such as photographs, diplomas and certificates, and other paperwork may remain in the home for the duration of treatment. As always, any personal items such as social security cards or birth certificates should go with you.