The top tips for keeping pests away from your home start with excluding pests from your home by sealing or caulking all holes, crevices, and cracks in your foundation, around windows, doorways, and other entryways. Also, cleaning your home regularly is extremely beneficial for insect and rodent prevention. This cleaning can include:
- Decluttering your home.
- Vacuuming and sweeping floors regularly, especially in food prep and dining areas after every snack or meal.
- Removing food scraps and clearing dishes from the sink immediately after meals or snacks.
- Removing trash with food scraps to a sanitized, outdoor receptacle every day.
- Discarding open containers of dried goods that have been sitting in your pantry for over six months in paper, boxes, or plastic bags.
- Storing pantry items and dried goods in metal, glass, or hard plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Storing open food items in the fridge or glass, metal, or hard plastic containers with air-tight lids.
- Eliminating clutter in storage areas.
- Not collecting cardboard boxes in your attic or closets.
- Unloading groceries from boxes and bags before bringing them into the house.
Keeping pests away from your home also means taking precautions on the exterior of your home including:
- Regularly cutting your grass short.
- Eliminate standing water in your yard, storing extra plant containers and kids’ toys in indoor storage spaces.
- Eliminate anything that can hold any amount of water, such as bottle caps.
- Eliminate any dense areas of vegetation in and around your yard.
- Trimming branches away from your home’s exterior to eliminate bridges that pests can enter your home through.
- Cleaning your gutters regularly.
- Make sure your downspouts are draining properly.
- Change birdbath water often to prevent stagnant water.
- Hire a professional pest control company, such as Hulett Environmental Services to create a pest barrier around your home.
When you Just Call Hulett, we’ll help you keep the pest out of your home!