Appearance and Size Facts
- Oriental roaches are dark brown to black in color
- Males have wings covering 3/4 of their body, and the female has very short wings
- However, both are unable to fly
- Size: Approximately 1 inch in length
- They will eat almost anything, but they prefer a high starch diet
- Oriental cockroaches prefer areas of high humidity and cool temperature.
Behavior and Habitat of Oriental Roaches
Oriental roaches are often found feeding on garbage, sewage, or decaying organic matter. They will eat almost anything, but they prefer a high starch diet. Oriental cockroaches tend to live near the ground in warm, damp areas. They are more slow-moving than other species and they also give off an unpleasant odor.
Oriental cockroaches prefer areas of high humidity and cool temperature. They are commonly found in basements, crawlspaces, and areas between the soil and foundation. They will often enter buildings through sewer pipes.
Signs of Infestation of Oriental Roaches
Look for them at night or during the day, but in moist, dark , and undisturbed rooms. Also look for dark brown or reddish egg cases.
Tips for Prevention of Oriental Roaches
Elimination of Oriental roaches is best performed by professional pest management companies, such as Hulett Environmental Services.