Appearance and Size Facts
- Cockroaches vary in color from a brown to black in the house-invading species
- Tropical species can be green, orange, and other colors
- These insects can grow up to 1.5 inches in length and prefer warm, moist, and dark areas
- They have an oval shape and are flat-bodied, with a pronotum, or shield-like covering, which projects behind their head
- Males and females of most species are fully winged
- Able to fly short distances but seldom do - preferring to let their six long legs do the scurrying when making a run for cover
Behavior and Habitat of Cockroaches
Although cockroaches can be found in groups in their daytime hiding areas, known as harborages, or feeding in groups at night, cockroaches are generally not social insects as ants or wasps are. They tend to behave in an individual or solitary manner, but often form small clusters. Cockroaches aren't picky eaters, though they tend to favor decaying matter, and have been known to snack on sweet, starchy and greasy foods. As scavengers, the cockroach is an opportunistic and omnivorous feeder. They have been known to eat just about anything: paper, boots, pet food, book bindings, cloth, leather, glue, and even other cockroaches.
Signs of Infestation of Cockroaches
Droppings, egg capsules, and the cockroaches themselves are signs of infestation.
Tips for Prevention of Cockroaches
Maintain a clean environment, seal all crevices and holes, and inspect items for cockroach activity before bringing anything indoors.
Latest Pest & Termite Control News
If you have seen small silver insects that exhibit almost fish-like movement around your home, you may be wondering how to get rid of silverfish. Most of us remember the first time we saw these distinctive creepy crawlies scurrying around. When these prehistoric-looking insects show up in your...Read More ›
If you see rats or mice in your home, you will want to use a professional pest control company to trap the interior, bait the exterior, and complete a rodent exclusion on your home to prevent rodent entry as soon as possible. The telltale signs of a rodent infestation can send shivers down your...Read More ›
Want to know how to get rid of ghost ants in South Florida? If you have little white ants or clear ants crawling around your kitchen, you probably have ghost ants. These adaptable white ants in Florida are a common household invader that homeowners struggle to eliminate on their own. With the right...Read More ›