Appearance and Size Facts
- Cockroaches vary in color from a brown to black in the house-invading species
- Tropical species can be green, orange, and other colors
- These insects can grow up to 1.5 inches in length and prefer warm, moist, and dark areas
- They have an oval shape and are flat-bodied, with a pronotum, or shield-like covering, which projects behind their head
- Males and females of most species are fully winged
- Able to fly short distances but seldom do - preferring to let their six long legs do the scurrying when making a run for cover
Behavior and Habitat of Cockroaches
Although cockroaches can be found in groups in their daytime hiding areas, known as harborages, or feeding in groups at night, cockroaches are generally not social insects as ants or wasps are. They tend to behave in an individual or solitary manner, but often form small clusters. Cockroaches aren't picky eaters, though they tend to favor decaying matter, and have been known to snack on sweet, starchy and greasy foods. As scavengers, the cockroach is an opportunistic and omnivorous feeder. They have been known to eat just about anything: paper, boots, pet food, book bindings, cloth, leather, glue, and even other cockroaches.
Signs of Infestation of Cockroaches
Droppings, egg capsules, and the cockroaches themselves are signs of infestation.
Tips for Prevention of Cockroaches
Maintain a clean environment, seal all crevices and holes, and inspect items for cockroach activity before bringing anything indoors.
Latest Pest & Termite Control News
Florida has its fair share of ant pests, such as the White Footed Ant and the Big Headed Ant. These invasive species are widespread here in South Florida. After invading, these exotic ants have thrived throughout Florida and pose a danger to native ants. A nuisance for homeowners, these invasive...Read More ›
In Florida, mosquitoes are a year-round problem, but the summertime is when Floridians struggle most with these bloodsucking pests. Mosquitoes like warm weather, so Florida is just as much a paradise for them as it is for humans. In the summer, Floridians enjoy backyard activities like cookouts,...Read More ›
Mosquito control has many methods that together will deliver the best reduction again mosquito bites for the yard. Backyard mosquito control is a major concern for those who want to enjoy their yards and pool without the nuisance of mosquitoes buzzing in their ears and biting them. More than a...Read More ›