What Attracts Roaches to Your Home?
Keeping roaches out of dog food involves only feeding your dog as much food as he/she will eat at one meal. Roaches are drawn to food sources in your home and will eat almost anything, dog food included. This practice of not leaving extra food in your dog’s bowl, goes hand in hand with making your home unattractive to roaches, in general. Keeping roaches out of your home starts with sealing or caulking tiny holes and miniscule crevices in your foundation and around doorways and windows that roaches can enter your home through.
Preventing Cockroaches in Your Home
Next, cleaning your home thoroughly helps make your home unattractive to roaches. These cleaning practices include:
- Decluttering your home and discarding cardboard boxes that you’ve collected in your attic.
- Vacuuming and sweeping floors on a regular basis.
- Wiping down countertops and vacuuming or sweeping food preparation and dining areas after each meal or snack.
- Storing open food packages in the fridge or in glass, metal, or perfect for dog food, in hard plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Wiping up all spills in your pantry.
- Storing dry goods in glass, metal, or hard plastic containers.
- Washing all dishes immediately after snacks and meals and removing all food scraps from your sink into a trash receptacle with a tight-fitting lid.
- Removing trash with food scraps to a sanitized outdoor receptacle every day.
Cockroach Prevention Advice From Hulett
Other ways of keeping roaches out of your dog’s food include making your home’s exterior unattractive to pests by:
- Keep your grass cut short.
- Trimming branches away from your house to prevent pests from using them as bridges to enter your home.
- Eliminating areas of dense vegetation in your yard.
- Decluttering your yard, cleaning up leftover construction materials and debris.
- Keeping gutters clean and making sure downspouts are draining properly.
- Eliminating areas and items where water can collect, such as kids’ toys, leftover planters, and patio furniture.
If you are looking for preventative care, consider asking your pest professional about Hulett ‘s Healthy Home that creates a pest barrier around your property, using low dose baits and other environmentally conscious materials on the perimeter of your property to eliminate pests.