Common Pests of Southern Florida
In South Florida, there are numerous insects and pests that can invade, causing nuisance or damage within your home. The key to proper pest control is inspection to correctly identify the infesting insect, so the ideal treatment can be performed by a professional pest control company. From insects to rodents, most pest control services treat pests that are common to the areas where they are located. In South Florida, pest control services, such as Hulett Environmental Services treat these household pests:
- Ants – Any number of invasive nuisance ants including ghost ants, big headed ants, white-footed ants, and others can find their way into your home looking for food and can be difficult to control without the knowledge and materials a pest control service offers.
- Cockroaches – Large outdoor American and Australian cockroaches will infest if professional treatment is not performed to keep these outside roaches from invading. Whereas homeowners also need to worry about German cockroaches that will rapidly multiply indoors in South Florida if left unchecked.
- Spiders – Web sweeping, and perimeter treatment can help eliminate spiders and prevent them from invading.
- Mosquitoes – Many mosquito species thrive in South Florida including Aedes Aegypti and Aedes Albopictus, which transmit Dengue, Yellow fever, Zika Virus, and Chikungunya, along with Aedes Taeniorhynchus that can transmit Eastern Equine Encephalitis and Dog Heartworm. Mosquito spraying and fogging is suggested as part of a mosquito reduction program along with eliminating standing water in your yard.
- Fleas – Your pest control service can treat your home and yard for fleas, using some of the same ingredients used in commercially available flea control products your vet recommends for your pets.
- Ticks – Your pest control service can also spray to protect your home from ticks, but it is also recommended to stay out of tall grass on walks, wearing long-sleeves and long pants with socks tucked into boots when walking in the woods, and by checking your pets and yourself for ticks after returning from walks.
- Rodents – Rats and mice cohabitate with humans and can wreak havoc in your home. Contact a pest control professional if you hear scratching in your walls, find rodent pellets in your kitchen, or see a rodent scurrying around to discuss eliminating rodent infestations as soon as possible.
- Bed Bugs – Bed Bugs bite and feed on human and animal blood, typically while they sleep. Because bed bugs are nocturnal, you might not notice them until you have itchy red welts on your neck and/or extremities. Once this happens, you probably have an infestation on your hands. Bed bugs are difficult to eliminate, so you should contact a pest control service as soon as possible to discuss bed bug treatment options.
Effective Pest Control in Florida by Hulett
Without a doubt, the best way to prevent pests is to sign up for Hulett’s Healthy Home program. Pest prevention is a lot easier than dealing with pest infestations – Just Call Hulett!